Sunday, October 9, 2011

Observations of an Observant Observer


Here's a list of the types of people I've observed in audiencial (is that a word?) settings. Whether it be church, the movies or and concert, you will see at least one of these kinds of people there. I'm not saying any of them are good or bad to have and sometimes even I embody some of these different types. Some people may have more than one of these characteristics and some people are different in different settings.
Whatever, I don't have to explain myself to you!

_______________________________________________________
1. The ENTERTAINER
This person will try to add on to whatever is going on in the movie/sermon/song. This person tries to make you laugh with every comment they make. Sometimes it's directly to you and other times it's a "pretend subtle" mumble and when you laugh at what they said he or she looks at you in a manner that is supposed to reflect "Oh, you were listening to my comments that I was trying to keep quiet?" but in reality means "Yes! They think I'm just naturally funny because I say stuff that makes them laugh and I look like I'm not even trying."

2. The HITTER/NUDGER
Somehow I feel like I manage to always get seated next to this person. A hitter and a Nudger are usually one in the same. You find a Hitter mostly in comedic or shocking situations. He or she will hit you as some sort of reflex to his or her own reaction. A Nudger most often does his or her nudging when the speaker/movie or what have you says or does something that reminds him or her of the nudgee.

3. The SHUSHER
If you get one thing out of this post, I would like you to know that NO ONE likes a Shusher. I feel like the person shushing doesn't even enjoy how obnoxious he or she is being by shushing. Everyone knows a Shusher. A shush absolutely NEVER works. It's just not an appropriate quieting technique yet it is still used, and often. Like blackberry phones.

4. The SCOPER
Also known as the "wandering eye", this observer is always checking out what's going on around them. But not just the usual glance around a place, rather a Scoper almost makes you feel paranoid as if at any moment someone is going to sneak in and shoot up the place. What a Scoper is really good at is pointing out other people that are doing weird things.

5. The PREDICTOR
This person is different in different settings. Often though, you will see a Predictor at the movies. In a movie, a Predictor will try and guess what's going to happen next. "That's fine. They're obviously just critical thinkers who like to asses the situation" you say. Well first of all I'd really appreciate it if you didn't interrupt my blogposts with your interjections to defend these people. Second of all, these people don't just THINK about what's going to happen next, they say their predictions out loud so everyone else can know they have an idea of the future. Some times a Predictor won't say their predictions but when something concluding happens, the Predictor will give a quick "I knew it!" just so that everyone around the Predictor will rest assured that he or she was in the know before his or her fellow audience members.

No comments:

Post a Comment